The School of Education and Modern Languages and Language Centre, Universiti Utara Malaysia invite colleagues and practitioners of the English language teaching and learning fraternity to participate in its 5th International Conference on Teaching and Learning of the English Language in Asia (TLEiA5). This conference combines paper presentations, workshops, demonstrations, and poster sessions to give presenters and participants an enriching TLEiA5 experience. The conference takes cognizance of the 5 Cs: Communication, Culture, Connections, Comparisons and Communities. These 5 concepts are the key drivers in bringing about changes in English language teaching and learning in the 21st Century.
With Celebrating Diversity in Enhancing Inclusive Pedagogical Practices as its theme, TLEiA5 focuses on a pedagogical inquiry into more effective ways of innovative teaching and fun learning amidst various global issues pertaining to the falling standards of the English language, globalization, and technologies impacting instruction and learning.
As we progress into the unknown future, it is only apt to introspect and reflect on the many changes to the world of English Language Teaching and Learning the past twenty years have brought us. At a time when national education systems in Asia are going through some of their most dramatic changes, a focus that seems to be universal is to keep its pedagogical practices as up-to-date and relevant as possible. With accelerating developments continuing to influence the changing educational landscape, this conference is here to provide a forum for scholars and educators to exchange views and experiences, formulate strategies, forge academic fraternities, and contribute positively towards the sharing and development of Asian perspectives on the teaching and learning of English. The first four conferences have contributed various innovative ideas, renewed existing modes of collaboration and strengthened the existing fraternity. All TLEiA conferences aim to continuously keep our minds open as we make sense of the educational changes towards a strengthened understanding of how English fits into our individual and collective perspectives. As such, the TLEiA5 conference has been pertinently themed Celebrating Diversity to Enhance Progressive Pedagogical Practices:
- To share experiences and develop scholarship on English language education, SMART educational partnerships, and the teaching and learning of English in Asia;
- To establish collaboration in research on the teaching and learning of English in Asia; and
- To establish a global network of scholars and managers of English language education in Asia.
This conference aims to become a platform for scholars and educators from Asia and other parts of the world to exchange views and experiences on the teaching and learning of the English language. It is hoped that the conference will contribute positively towards the development of an Asian perspective in the teaching and learning of English.
The objectives of this conference are:
- to share experiences and develop scholarship on English language education;
- to form SMART educational partnerships in teaching and learning of English in Asia;
- to establish collaborative research on the teaching and learning of English in Asia; and
- to establish a global network of scholars and professionals of English language education in Asia.